Castellania – borders

XIV. In medieval Poland, castellans were the seat of mid-level state authorities and were part of the land or province. Their center was a castel – a castle or a significant gord – which was ruled by a komes, e.g. a castellan.

The Santok castellany was established around 1120, after the subordination of Western Pomerania by Bolesław Wrymouthusty. This castellany covered the areas north of the Noteć, between the rivers Myśla and Drawa, including the microregion of Gorzów. Its western border was the hillfort of Tarnów, which probably belonged to the Lubusz castellany. In the east, it bordered on the castellany of Drzeńsk, located east of the Polka (Pełcz) and Santoczna rivers, and west of Drawa. According to Edward Rymar, the territory of Santok was to extend to the south of the areas between Sulęcin and Torzym. Aleksander Paroń, in turn, believes that this border ran from the curve of the Warta, slightly west of Ulim village, towards Glinik and the Warta with Kijewice within the Santok castellany, and further north-east towards Polichno, until it reached the Noteć valley near Trzebicz.

The first Polish castellan of Santok was Paweł (Pawlik), in office in the 12th century, and the last titular governor was Michał Krzyżanowski, Świnka coat of arms (1786–1790), who also belonged to the confederation of the Great Sejm in 1788.


Prepositures, also called chapters – initially cathedral and then also collegiate – were established in Poland from the 11th century. They were separated within dioceses in more important church centers. These were institutions supporting bishops in their pastoral and liturgical ministries. They were headed by prepositures, also known as deans.

Although the Santok prepositure of St. Andrew has been mentioned in historical sources since 1232, but it is believed that it functioned from the end of the 11th or the beginning of the 12th century. Santok prepositures appear in sources until the beginning of the 14th century.

The Santok prepositure belonged to the Poznań diocese. It is believed that it was founded on the initiative of Bolesław Wrymouthusty. It consisted of a prepositure and two canons. All churches located between the Odra, Ina, Warta, Drawa and Noteć rivers were subject to it.

After the lands of the Santok castellany were taken over by the Brandenburg margraves in the mid-13th century, the prepositure of Santok was transferred in 1298 to the collegiate church of St. Peter and Paul in Myślibórz.

Preposit in Santok

1232 – the first known preposit – Czesław or Ciesław (in sources also: Tezlaw, Zsezlaus, Szeslaus, Theszlavus)

1250 – the second known preposit – Marek (Marcus)

1257, 1259 – preposit Nicholas

1278 – preposit Bogumil

1286–1303 – preposit Tylo

1313 – preposit Marsilius